Hehe... I guess you learn something new everyday.
http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/200512_an_atheist_manifesto/
Not too much argue about here. I was brought up first as a catholic, then a baptist and for many years as a Jehovah's Witness. What I saw from those religions is a lot of people who believe for the sake of believing. As a kid I would ask, "Who created the Universe?" And would be told God. Then I would ask, "Who created God?" and they would say no one, he has always been. I would then say, "If things can always just be and no one needs to create them, maybe it was the Universe that has always just been." (I was young lol but it made perfect sense to me and baffled most people.)
As I got older I would ask who created the earth and they would say god and then I would go on to quote New Scientist and other sources and present facts that the earth is about 4 billion years old and started to form close to 20 billion years ago and they would go on about how he didn't literally create it etc. Then I would ask how god created light. My primary light is Sol, the big ball of fire in the sky... Did god create that light or all the suns? Or did he actually will into being the photon itself and before then all suns were dark.... In fact I would argue about the grand canyon and how it formed over millions of years and be told that no... the layers are too close together and were laid down by the great flood. Remember Shawn, it rained for 40 days and 40 nights! This by scientists who in real life taught science but were elders of my church.
Now I'm a bright boy... exceptionally so and were it not for that I may have been brainwashed to believe these proposterous explanations and passed that on to my bretheren!!!! No it shall not be done!
I was watching the Colbert report the other day and he had a Congressman on the show (You can still catch it on Motherload if you see this soon.) Anyways this guy Co-Sponsered a bill to display the 10 commandments in our courts! He said he could not think of a better building to display it in. However when called upon to speak what the 10 commandments were he couldn't. *I KNOW THE 10 COMMANDENTS for crying out loud and most of them have no place in our court room! Are we going to punish people for putting their god before their own? What of atheists?* (Note: It is on google here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2929773288922236708&q=colbert )
Our governement is being more and more influenced by religion and corporations and less and less by the people who are intended to run it. It could be argued as well that the people have been brainwashed and it shows. How many people think Iraq had something to do with 9/11 STILL!!! There is supposed to be a speration of CHURCH and GOVERNMENT for VERY good reasons. More wars have been fought and more lives have been lost over religion then over anything else.
The people that attacked us on 9/11 were not poor, uneducated misguided souls... they were college educated, took flight lessons and died attacking us in the name of their religion! Go back through history. Religion is a disease in my opinion. In fact to this day people are brought up to embrace hatred for others that are not of their religion. Is this what I was to teach to my kids?
After all it can't be random right? (http://gprime.net/video.php/spraypaintart http://gprime.net/video.php/riceresonance )

1 comment:
I regard most religions as works of fictions. Bed time stories I will have to dispel to my children like I have to tell them about Santa, the tooth fairie and the easter bunny.
It makes me sad. I mean these people REALLY believe and build their lives around their faith. Faith in bed time stories. I want to know how to tell them the truth. How can you point out the blatent inconsistincies and obvious fairie tales. Do you know the smithsonian had to issue a statement against the book of mormons if anyone was trying to use it as a guide to archaeological work? Religion is destroying the benefits of the age of enlightment where humans were actually making some progress!
Am I to despair? No, there is no need. Evolution will sort things out regardless of what creationist may believe. Fact is stranger then fiction my friends.
Post a Comment